20 Lies Designers tell their Clients

Today, the web team at The Computer Guyz put together 20 funny lies that designers tell their clients. From “golden ratios” to “international recognition”, if you are a designer, you’ve probably at least used one of these lies in your professional career.


1.
LIE – “We are a prestigious web design agency.”
TRUTH – “It’s just me on my laptop at home in my underwear.”

2.
LIE – “We’re right, it looks much better this way.”
TRUTH – “You totally ruined it, but hey, it’s your money!”

3.
LIE – “I typically charge this much for a logo design.”
TRUTH “I’ve never charged that much, but I’m hoping I can pull it off.”

4.
LIE – “I stayed up all night working on this design.”
TRUTH – “I threw it together at 3am after a Game of Thrones marathon.”

5.
LIE – “The logo is based on circular geometry for aesthetic balance.”
TRUTH – “This trick always impresses clients.”

6.
LIE – “Actually, my fax machine is broken, can I just email it?”
TRUTH – “What year is this? Who still owns a fax machine?”

7.
LIE – “You always get top priority!”
TRUTH – “Right after all my good clients.”

8.
LIE – “I like to give my clients options, here are three.”
TRUTH – “I couldn’t decide which font to use.”

9.
LIE – “You’re current site is pretty good, but is needs some work.”
TRUTH – “My eyes, my eyes!”

10.
LIE – “The finished product took a bit longer than the initial quote.”
TRUTH – “All your crazy changes made this way more expensive.”

11.
LIE – “No, this isn’t a bad time. What’s up?”
TRUTH – “I just sat down to eat dinner with my family.”

12.
LIE – “I was planning on working this weekend anyway.”
TRUTH – “Sorry kids, maybe we’ll go to Disneyland next year.”

13.
LIE – “I’ll see if I have time for a few more projects this month.”
TRUTH – “Guess I won’t need that second mortgage anymore.”

14.
LIE – “I’m uploading the finished design right now.”
TRUTH – “I’m rushing to finish it right now.”

15.
LIE – “Whenever you get to the invoice is fine, no rush.”
TRUTH – “My kid needs to go to the dentist, pay me already!”

16.
LIE – “We’re an internationally recognized firm.”
TRUTH – “I once had a client who lived in Canada.”

17.
LIE – “I’m swamped and not taking on any other projects this week.”
TRUTH – “You’re a terrible client and I just can’t handle you this week.”

18.
LIE – “I used red to convey a sense of passion and intensity.”
TRUTH – “Red is the default colour in Photoshop.”

19.
LIE – “Here’s some work I did for Nike, Ford and Coca-Cola.”
TRUTH – “It was all unofficial student work for a college class.”

20.
LIE – “The Golden Ratio makes the design perfectly proportional.”
TRUTH – “Pretending I understand this math makes me look really smart.”

Which one of these lies do you confess to telling your clients? Maybe you’ll admit to quite a few!


Comments

Popular Posts